The news from ININ Games and Factor 5 today is that 4 classic shooters are coming together in Turrican Flashback. Turrican, Turrican II: The Final Fight, Mega Turrican and Super Turrican that released on a variety of classic consoles like the Amiga, SNES and Mega Drive have had a spruce up and are coming in one package.
Turrican Flashback is launching on PS4 and Nintendo Switch on January 29th.
Each game has been adapted for the console release with a new control scheme that has been “play tested and tailored by lifelong Turrican fans from across Europe”. For those of us old gamers that might have lost a step since the last time we played Turrican, this Flashback version includes a “Rewind” feature. This means you don’t have to replay entire sections of the game and you get an instant chance to retry. For those who wish to come back to the adventure at a later time, the save states are there to let you pick up exactly where you left off.
Turrican Flashback might have been modernised but if you long for the good old days, you can even add scanlines and curvatures of retro monitors, just like a CRT display.
“Chris Huelsbeck’s legendary scores are on full display and the games have been painstakingly programmed to ensure the highest quality playback of the original audio across the various sound chips Mr. Huelsbeck perfected. Enjoy the 7 minute epica that is “The Final Fight” in Turrican 2 in pristine original quality, or thump your feet to the beat of “Air Combat” in Mega Turrican, each and every track across every game is a bonafide classic!”
- 4 classic titles: Turrican, Turrican II: The Final Fight, Mega Turrican and Super Turrican in one awesome package!
- Reworked modern control scheme that streamlines the series and makes them more approachable than ever before.
- Customize your experience with shaders, wallpapers and different display options.
- Gigantic levels, heart-blazing action and huge boss fights. Suit up and prepare for mayhem!
- Rewind feature and save states allows you to take on the challenge… with some help!
- Timeless and critically acclaimed soundtracks by composer Chris Huelsbeck!
The developer ININ Games have a decent track record, having recently released Space Invaders Forever, a cool collection of Space Invaders spin offs. Turrican Flashback could certainly continue that trend.
Source: Press Release.