A tonne of news for your perusal today. Get to it.
PS5 UI a complete overhaul?
There has been a lot of talk from Finger Guns and probably everyone else about what the UI will be like on the PS5. Most of us agree that the PS4 was pretty much perfect, with just a few tweaks needed. Hell, even our very own in house designer Paul had a go at designing a PS5 UI.
It seems, however, no matter how popular the PS4 OS was, it’s getting a complete overhaul with “very few pixels left from PS4”. Matt MacLaurin the VP of UX Design at PlayStation has been waxing lyrical about the new PS5 Interface via linked in.
It also seems that Sony wanted to “experience goals measured in milliseconds across the entire UI,” which of course will show off the power of the PS5’s SSD drive. This can only be a good thing.
MicroProse Announce 2 First Person Shooters
ICYMI – MicroProse are back and they’re publishing games again. Since their resurgence, they’ve announced 3 strategy games – Sea Power, Second Front & Task Force Admiral – but now they’re getting in on the First Person Shooter genre too. Today they’re announced 2 game’s they’re publishing.
Operation: Harsh Doorstop is a free community project devoid of micro-transactions, paid downloadable content, or loot box mechanics. Deploy to eastern Afghanistan into a fictionalised conflict between Soviet and NATO forces during the summer of 1991. While this is a first person shooter, it’s also a love letter to the tactical genre with dynamically changing objectives. Get it for free on Steam.
The second game is WWII shooter Warfare 1944 which focuses on tactical gameplay. Bullets are deadly, one shot can kill.
“Team communication is essential and Warfare 1944 features robust proximity voice communication which allows you to communicate with your fellow soldiers alongside you.
Wield a wide variety of weapons and equipment while you attempt to survive the chaos of war. Rally your friends to your team, and fight in massive battles across vast open landscapes. Keep your wits, and defeat your enemies. Warfare is unforgiving.”
Warfare 1944 is coming to Steam in Early Access on 07/07/2020. Both of these games are developed by Drakeling Labs.
Source: Press Release
Steam Games Festival 2020 Begins Today
Valve today will launch their Steam Game Festival, Summer Edition, a week-long virtual event. Hundreds of games will be getting demo’s, live streams and updates starting 6pm BST today and run until 6pm on Monday, June 22nd. The vast majority of the demo’s will disappear after the event has ended. We’ll be checking out The Uncertain: Light at the End, The Survivalists, Redneck Ed: Astro Monsters Show, Unsouled and many more.
Planet Coaster: Console Edition Coming To PS5 and Xbox Series X
Frontier Developments have revealed today that Planet Coaster will be coming to the next generation of consoles in holiday 2020. Originally announced for PS4 and Xbox One, Planet Coaster: Console Edition is adding PS5 and Xbox Series X to its launch platforms later this year.
Source: Press Release
Warner Bros Holding DC Fandome event in August
On Saturday, 22 August, starting at 6pm BST, Warner Bros. will welcome fans everywhere into the DC FanDome — a free virtual fan experience where no badge is required.
Accessible for 24 hours at DCFanDome.com, the global event will immerse fans into the DC Multiverse, with new announcements from WB Games, Film and TV, and comics, as well as an unprecedented opportunity to hear from the casts and creators behind your favourite feature films and TV series, including: Aquaman, The Batman, Batwoman, Black Adam, Black Lightning, DC Super Hero Girls, DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, DC’s Stargirl, Doom Patrol, The Flash, Harley Quinn, the SnyderCut of Justice League, Lucifer, Pennyworth, SHAZAM!, The Suicide Squad, Supergirl, Superman & Lois, Teen Titans GO!, Titans, Watchmen, Young Justice: Outsiders and, coming this fall to theatres worldwide, Wonder Woman 1984.
“There is no fan like a DC fan. For more than 85 years, the world has turned to DC’s inspiring heroes and stories to lift us up and entertain us, and this massive, immersive digital event will give everyone new ways to personalize their journey through the DC Universe without lines, without tickets and without boundaries. With DC FanDome, we’re able to give fans from around the world an exciting and unparalleled way to connect with all their favourite DC characters, as well as the incredible talent who bring them to life on the page and screen.”Ann Sarnoff, Chair and Chief Executive Officer, Warner Bros.
The DCFanDome will take place at DCDanDome.com. Further announcements are to be made on the website before August.
PGA TOUR 2K21 Career Mode Trailer Arrives
“The PGA TOUR 2K21 Career Mode follows the path of your MyPLAYER – that you create using PGA TOUR 2K21’s deep character and customization suite – from humble beginnings as you strive to make a name for yourself on the Korn Ferry Tour, all the way to a climactic battle against cover athlete Justin Thomas for FedExCup glory. Along the way, you’ll enjoy loads of MyPLAYER customization options, including unique appearances, hairstyles and fashion options for male and female MyPLAYERS, apparel and gear from adidas, Polo Ralph Lauren, Malbon Golf, Callaway Golf, Bridgestone Golf, TaylorMade Golf and more, as well as some of PGA TOUR 2K21’s more unusual bells and whistles (did somebody say kangaroos?).”
Source: Press Release
Star Wars Episode I: Racer launches June 23rd
Launching on the PS4 and Switch after a 1 month delay, Star Wars Episode I: Racer will now launch on June 23rd, developer Aspyr Media have announced. The game is expected to sell for between £10-£15.
ATTN Star Wars Episode l: Racer Fans!!!— Aspyr (@AspyrMedia) June 16, 2020
We are slated to release on both Nintendo Switch and PS4 on June 23rd.
Thank you for your continued support, .gifs, and kind comments as we’ve worked on this release.
🏁We’ll see you on the racetracks.🏁 pic.twitter.com/9hRgvzqvpZ
Carrion is coming to Nintendo Switch
The super gory very bloody guts exploding hellscape that is Carrion will be coming to Nintendo Switch day and date with Xbox One and PC.
You’ll be able to pre-order a Switch physical edition via Special Reserve Games and of course, buy a digital version on the eShop.
Still no release date, only ‘Summer’. Hopefully we can update that soon. In the meantime read Toby’s hands-on with the demo.
Source [Press Release]
Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memory announced for Xbox One, PS4 and Nintendo Switch.
Square-Enix has revealed Kingdom Hearts: Memory of Melody, a spin-off rhythm action game coming to Xbox One, PS4 and Switch this year.
The trailer – only available in Japanese at time of writing – features Sora, Donald and Goofy along with Hercules, Aladdin and many fan favourites from the franchise.
Source: [Press Release]
All in! Games Release Metamorphosis Gameplay Trailer
Based on the Kafka story by the same name, All In have today released a new trailer for Metamorphosis. Metamorphosis is set to release later this summer on Nintendo Switch, PC, PS4, and Xbox One. In the mean time, you could always play the Steam demo now as part of the Steam Game Festival.
Upload VR Showcase Brings News On A Tonne of VR Games
The fantastic folks over at Upload VR have hosted their VR Showcase Summer Edition today and delivered a tonne of news and new announcements for VR games. In case you’ve not got time to watch it all, links to all of the news can be found below courtesy of Upload VR.
- Watch First Ever Solaris: Offworld Combat Gameplay Here
- VR Stealth Game Panther VR Surprise Launches In Early Access Today
- Onward For Oculus Quest First-Ever Gameplay Footage Coming This Month
- Check Out Early Development Footage Of Wraith: The Oblivion – Afterlife
- David Hayter Teases Phantom: Covert Ops In New Trailer Ahead Of Release
- Star Shaman Is A Funky New VR Game From An All-New Studio
- The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners ‘Meatgrinder’ Update Adds Brutal Horde Mode Arenas
- New Trailer For VR Noir The Rig Ahead Of Launch This Month
- Spaceteam Is Even More Frantic Inputs With Free Updates
- Check Out Traffic Jams’ Manic Local Multiplayer Mode, Demo Coming This Week
- Dungeon Crawler Operencia: The Stolen Sun Is Coming To VR
- Area Man Lives Continues To Look Like An Eccentric VR Experience In New Trailer
- Get Your Latest Look At Cyberpunk Action Game Lonn Right Here
- Agence Is A New Experiment In VR AI And Interaction
- Physics-Defying Puzzler Gravity Lab Is Coming To Oculus Quest
- Go To Hell In VR Puzzler Trial By Teng From The Creators Of Form
- New Cosmophobia Footage Teases More VR Scares And Combat
- Ghost Patrol Promises A Ghost Bustin’ Good Time At VR Arcades
- In Death: Unchained Brings Rogue-Lite VR Action To Oculus Quest This July
- Gnomes & Goblins ‘Coming Soon’ After Years In Hibernation
- Low-Fi Oozes Gritty Cyberpunk VR Style In Latest Trailer
- Vertigo Remastered Arrives In July, New Trailer Here
- Trover Saves The Universe Comes To Quest This Week
- Pistol Whip Developers Announce PSVR Release Date, Heartbreaker Update, And ‘Concierge’ Campaign
- Norman Reedus Has An Update On The Walking Dead: Onslaught
- Watch New Blaston Gameplay, 1v1 VR Shooter From Resolution Games
- Vacation Simulator ‘Back To Job’ Update Coming This Fall
- Play Bunker Aims To Bring Beloved Board Games To VR
- Virtual Battlegrounds VR FPS Adds Cosmetic Unlocks And More
- Panzer Dragoon VR Debuts Nostalgic Retrospective Trailer
- Exclusive New Footage Of Naau: The Lost Eye Debuts Right Here
- Sun Shard Brings Monster Slashing Action To Quest